Life & Marriage Prep
Isn’t preparing for marriage exciting! The ceremony and the honeymoon are even more gratifying. But then comes the routine stresses of life. Preparing for long-term commitment is key to a successful marriage. Below are my top five recommendations so that you can be better prepared for a loving, life-long marriage.
- Read Hold Me Tight by Dr. Sue Johnson to understand the heart of marriage. The Christian version is Created for Connection by Dr. Sue Johnson with Kenneth Sanderfer. For a complete couple’s guide, click here.
- Listen to marriage counselor Adam Young’s Podcast, The Place We Find Ourselves
- Take a Personal & Marriage Inventory: Prepare & Enrich. This is a widely used inventory tool to help you prepare for the different facets of marriage.
- Read Love & War by John & Staci Eldredge, a classic book about marriage.
- Schedule time with a pastor to encourage you in the right direction. Contact William Hurtado , an ordained minister, for pre-marital counseling and help in preparing for the big day. Also, connect with a licensed counselor trained in Emotionally Focused Therapy to resolve challenges that become too difficult to navigate.
Like it or not, there will be highs and lows in marriage. May you be prepared in heart and mind to love well!